Crochet Grocery Bag Pattern By Haley Waxberg
I designed this bag for utilitarian purposes with myself, my friends & family in mind. It is a sturdy, medium sized mesh bag that will be large enough to replace a regular size plastic bag from the grocery store. It comes out looking small but it holds a mighty load. It is designed to be just the right size to hold heavy groceries (like 4 heavy cans) without hitting the ground or falling out. They are also just the right size to avoid overloading and making the bag uncomfortably heavy. This is NOT a large shoulder bag sized tote. If you want it to be bigger for an all day shop or to hold really big leafy plants see the pattern suggestions for modifications. If you have any questions or suggestions please leave me me a note, I love feedback! :-)
• This is NOT a large shoulder bag sized tote. If you want it to be bigger for an all day shop or to hold really big leafy plants i suggest you make the following modifications: add an extra increase round, add rows in the middle, leave out a decrease round (especially for leafy applications), work 2 or 3 more rounds of sc around the mouth of the bag, add 2 more rows on sc on each handle.
• If you are a very tight crocheter it's a good idea to add a few rows in the middle.
• If you are a loose crocheter go down a hook size.
• The last stitch of the round is worked into the space which the marker is on.
• Count the number of stitches after each increase round and make sure you don’t have extra.
• When cutting or joining yarn leave 4 or 5 inches of yarn to weave in.• "DK" weight yarn refers to "Double Knitting" weight yarn. You can find out the yarn weight by looking at a yarn's ball-band: 4mm needles will be recommended and and the stitch gauge will be between 20 and 22 sts = 4". For more information refer to yarnstandards.com • When you have finished throw 3 or 4 big cans of food in the bag to stretch it out to it's regular size.
Skill Level Easy
Size Medium, approximately 51cm/20” long by 28cm/11” wide
Materials • 4mm/F crochet hook • 1 skein Super 10 cotton: 3402 nectarine, 3724 lime and 3062 azure. Or 160m machine washable, mercerized & gased DK weight (calls for a 4mm needles) cotton. • darning needle • 1 split ring or locking ring stitch marker to mark rounds • scrap yarn in contrasting colour for markers
Gauge Not critical
Abbreviations Ch Chain Sc Single Crochet Sl St Slip Stitch St StitchCrochet Grocery Bag by Haley Waxberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.knitomatic.com.