Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Shout-Out to Mohair

The aptly named Mohair is Better cowl, in progress.


Hey Mohaiiiiiiiiiiir!


It's been a long time and it's so great to work with you again!  I'm actually really crushin' on you right now. You've gotten a bad reputation as being 'itchy', but I know that you don't need to be like that all the time. I love your fibres Mohair! They're so light and fluffy, and you make my knits so effortlessly airy. You just have so much body, you're like the bouffant of yarns! Plus I love your aura, that hazy halo is just so romantic. And you're practical too - I can knit you up fast and on big needles, and you're very affordable date. And then there's that weird but cool thing you do where your yardage seems to stretch twice as far as other yarns. 


I bumped into you in H&M yesterday, and I'm totally going to knit up the scarf I saw you in. By the way, I know you weren't looking your best - they mixed you with a LOT of acrylic, but I can see through it. 


 Yay Mohair! I'm so glad you're back! 


P.S. 
Clearly I'm really enjoying you in my Mohair is Better cowl. It's really easy, just a trinity stitch (worked wrong side out) sandwiched between 2 beds 1x1 ribbing. But I feel that the pattern could use some shaping (the ribbing is going to stretch out), so I jotted down my proposed modifications in my Ravelry project notes. 


I am using Kid Luxe (78% Kid Mohair, 13% Wool, 9% Nylon) in colour 501013 (close to Pantone's Deep Teal). It's a distributor brand yarn, so it's kind of like a store brand product at the super market - it's a great product and they keep the price down by not spending a ton of money on branding, marketing and advertising. At eight bucks a skein I'm smiling.  :-)




Addenda Sept. 16, 2011
Knittingdaily published a little article today about knitting with mohair!

No comments: