Friday, January 07, 2011

2011 Knit-O-Matic Sweater Knit-along

Welcome to the launch of the Knit-O-Matic Sweater Along! Before Christmas I decided that 2011 is going to be the year of the sweater - or at least the year of one good, serious sweater.  It's time.  

The way most knit-alongs work is that everyone works on the same project, but that isn't really how we roll at Knit-O-Matic. I like what I like and you like what you like, and we like doing our things together, inspiring each other and sharing. Please join us (especially me, I need moral support, I've been making small projects for AGES) as we knit a sweater together. It doesn't matter which sweater you choose or which yarn you use, we're just in it together. If you want to share your project you can send us an e-mail and post it to the blog, drop a line in our Ravelry group, or join our Flickr photo pool.

So here is what I'm considering  ....

Option 1
Hourglass from Last Minute Knitted Gifts in Berroco Ultra Alpaca (colour 62172 Cobalt Mix)

I want something not too thick, that will slide easily under my coat. It also needs to be a bright colour because dark, utilitarian colours are starting to get me down. The ultra Alpaca has a lot of drape, so I'm thinking of adding 3 inches of negative ease, which means a size small. I'll probably also knit it from the top down to better control size and shaping.  Notes on Ravelry suggest that the alpaca stretches down quite a bit, so a good sized tension swatch is in order.


Option 2

I like the slightly military quality of the dark green Peat Mix, but the purple is also stunning. The ruffle will have to go, because, a) I don't wear ruffles, b) I think the lines will be really nice and clean without, and c) the ruffle requires another yarn I don't presently have in stock and can't really be bothered to get just for this project. 


As always, you can find us at knitomatic.com.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

The Hourglass is a lovely and classic sweater and it would look lovely on you. However, I know several people who've knit it and they say it's very boring knitting.
I love that cardi! And it looks more challenging.

Haley said...

I've actually already made the hourglass once. it isn't exciting, but it's fast & easy, and i'll end up changing things along the way ... always do ;-)