Thursday, November 05, 2009

Poppies for Remembrance Day




I've been knitting Poppies for my family. Sorry about the lame picture, I've lost my light for the day and I'll try and take a better picture when the sun comes back (Red is also always hard to shoot). The picture above is one I made with some scrap Mission Falls 1824 Wool in 29 Raspberry (which I could have used in my hat above!). The mission falls was OK, but I really preferred the ones I made with Brown Sheep Company Lamb's Pride Worsted. I'll get some pics of those too. The Lamb's Pride held it's shape better, the colour was better too and it's slightly fuzzy quality is appealing after it's finished.  Oh, one thing about the poppies: use 3.75/5" double pointed needles! The pattern calls for 2.75mm and I found it impossible.  And by the way, I beaded the centre, just cause I like pretty things. ;-) Anyway, the things are small, fast, and satisfying. Plus, you won't lose your poppy or stick yourself! Just be sure to make a donation to the Veterans who are selling the poppies, the little plastic flower are a form of fundraising for them.

No comments: