Wednesday, July 08, 2009

On (& Off) the Needles This Week

june24 024 by you.
As always, all roads lead to Ravelry. if you don't have a free account yet you can use mine: login - knitomatic2, password - knitomatic

I really liked my little blue ceramic bolero. On the mannequin it looks like a short cardie, but I'm a couple sizes larger than little miss inanimate-made-of-fiberglass-foam-that-feels-very-satisfying-to-stick-pins-into. On me it looks like short, 80's style bolero and it's pretty cool. The drape really makes it work.  I've been wearing it on the wrong side because the ceramic catches on everything.

Anyway, long story, I thought it would be fun to make a bulkier, fall weight bolero based partly on the same pattern (Bella Sera Shrug), the Anthropologie Inspired Capelet,  and the Knitting Pure and Simple Bulky Shrug Pattern #286  (yes, we have it at the store).  You know me, I can't leave well enough alone ;-)

But it's all just an excuse to try out the new Brown Sheep Lanaloft Bulky Handpaint (LL200 Platinum Plum). I do not think that Brown Sheep  has updated their online shade card yet, there are a few colours missing. To get a better idea of the colours you can browse the projects and stashes for Lanaloft on Ravelry.


june24 025 by you.

As it is summer, I decided to embark on a fast summer baby blanket. I'm using Mission Falls 1824 Cotton (2 strands together) on 6.5mm needles. The design is based/inspired by the Mason Dixon Moderne Log Cabin Blanket.  I'm not following the text in the pattern, but I know that some of you are analytically inclined so I am writing down my instructions as I go.

If you want to work with colours and don't want to worry about stitch patterns or counting, you can't go wrong with the log cabin! 

No comments: