Fast & Easy Flat Mittens
By Liane Schwartz
● 7.5mm straight Needles
● 100m Super Bulky yarn (calls for 9mm to 10mm needles)
● small stitch holder or scrap yarn (a lg safety pin works well)
Total Length: 10.5”/27cm
Palm: 5.5”/14cm wide
Cuff: 4”/10cm wide, 3”/8cm long
Fingers: 4”/10 cm wide, 5”/13cm long
Thumb: 2”/5.5cm long
10sts & 15 rows = 4”/10cm
K2tog knit 2 stitches together (decrease)
M1 Make 1 stitch: increase made by lifting the band of yarn between the stitches, twist it, place it on left needle and work it. To twist left, turn stitch left, to twist right, turn stitch right.
RS Right Side (knit side)
St st stocking stitch (k 1 row, p1 row)
WS Wrong Side (purl side)
R1-10 Cast on 22sts, work in K1, P1 rib for 3 inches/10 rows.
R11 (RS) K1, *M1, K2; rep from * to last 2 sts, M1, K1. (29 sts)
R12-18 Work in St st.
R19 M1 on the 10th & 18th stitches.
R20 M1 on the 10th & 22nd stitches.
R21 K11, place 10 sts on a holder, K11.
R22-32 Work in St st.
R33 *K2tog, K3; rep from * to end.
R34 Work in St st.
R35 *K2tog, K2; rep from * to end.
• Break Yarn, thread through darning needle and thread through remaining stitches. Pull tight and fasten off. Sew side seam using mattress stitch.
• Pick up remaining 10 stitches from holder and work in st st for 5 rows.
• Next Row: *K2tog; rep from * to end. (5 sts)
• Break Yarn, thread through darning needle and thread through remaining stitches. Pull tight and fasten off. Sew seam using mattress stitch. Weave in ends.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.