Thursday, August 03, 2006

FREE: Crochet Grocery Bag Pattern



For Full Pattern Click on this Link:
http://www.knitomatic.com

Crochet Grocery Bag Pattern By Haley Waxberg
I designed this bag for utilitarian purposes with myself, my friends & family in mind. It is a sturdy, medium sized mesh bag that will be large enough to replace a regular size plastic bag from the grocery store. It comes out looking small but it holds a mighty load. It is designed to be just the right size to hold heavy groceries (like 4 heavy cans) without hitting the ground or falling out. They are also just the right size to avoid overloading and making the bag uncomfortably heavy. This is NOT a large shoulder bag sized tote. If you want it to be bigger for an all day shop or to hold really big leafy plants see the pattern suggestions for modifications. If you have any questions or suggestions please leave me me a note, I love feedback! :-)
Suggestions
• This is NOT a large shoulder bag sized tote. If you want it to be bigger for an all day shop or to hold really big leafy plants i suggest you make the following modifications: add an extra increase round, add rows in the middle, leave out a decrease round (especially for leafy applications), work 2 or 3 more rounds of sc around the mouth of the bag, add 2 more rows on sc on each handle.
• If you are a very tight crocheter it's a good idea to add a few rows in the middle.
• If you are a loose crocheter go down a hook size.
• The last stitch of the round is worked into the space which the marker is on.
• Count the number of stitches after each increase round and make sure you don’t have extra.
• When cutting or joining yarn leave 4 or 5 inches of yarn to weave in.
• "DK" weight yarn refers to "Double Knitting" weight yarn. You can find out the yarn weight by looking at a yarn's ball-band: 4mm needles will be recommended and and the stitch gauge will be between 20 and 22 sts = 4". For more information refer to yarnstandards.com • When you have finished throw 3 or 4 big cans of food in the bag to stretch it out to it's regular size.
Skill Level Easy
Size Medium, approximately 51cm/20” long by 28cm/11” wide
Materials • 4mm/F crochet hook • 1 skein Super 10 cotton: 3402 nectarine, 3724 lime and 3062 azure. Or 160m machine washable, mercerized & gased DK weight (calls for a 4mm needles) cotton. • darning needle • 1 split ring or locking ring stitch marker to mark rounds • scrap yarn in contrasting colour for markers
Gauge Not critical
Abbreviations Ch Chain Sc Single Crochet Sl St Slip Stitch St Stitch
Creative Commons License Crochet Grocery Bag by Haley Waxberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.knitomatic.com.

25 comments:

amac said...

Searched & searched - thanks so much!

MystikMomma said...

YEAH!!! I was looking and looking to finally find your bag. Thank you for this post and I may have more questions for you, as I see you use Blogger. I want to make some changes to my site and add more functionality, but having a hard time figuring it out. Looks like you have a handle on your site, it looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

H star,



How do you get the fun boxes to the left of your site to come up, such as Ravelry? Also how do you add the wish list? Is this only available with that particular layout? I did change my layout to accommodate a different feeling, but would like to add things on the side that are graphic, like books or such.



Thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to using cotton; could you give some clarification as to the type to buy to make the grocery tote? What is DK weight - 160m?

Haley said...

• "Dk" weight yarn refers to "Double Knitting" weight yarn. You can find out the yarn weight by looking at a yarn's ball-band: 4mm needles will be recommended and and the stitch gauge will be between 20 and 24 sts = 4".

For more information refer to the chart at yarnstandards.com

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the pattern. I am making a bunch since my eco bags I purchased from Ralphs Market fell apart I decided to do a bunch of these for my shopping. Worked up quick and now my friends are hooked too.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found this pattern the other night and I'm unsure what you mean by "slip stich to join in space" and "working over the end".

Would you mind clarifying this to me? I'm sure it's something really easy and I'm just reading it weird or something.

Thanks so much.

Haley said...

the foundation of all crocheting that is worked in the round is to make a loop by crocheting a short chain, joining the chain with a slip stitch in the first stitch of the chain. you can find instructions in any granny square tutorial:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/granny_square.htm

you can find instructions for a slip stitch in any crochet book or online crochet tutorial:

Stitchdiva.com has good tutorials
http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=95

Interweave's Crocheter's Companion is an excelent reference guide that i recommend to all my customers:
http://www.interweave.com/crochet/books/crocheters_companion.asp

Haley said...

there is also a market bag knit-a-long on ravelry, which is a good place to ask questions:

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/greencraft/180133/26-50

Anonymous said...

I see how to order the pattern, but is it a download or sent through the mail? Thanks for any info.

Tina

Haley said...

it is a pdf. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!!! I love your new sweater!!!! ACER Battery SQU-202 BTP-650 SQ-2100 916-2320

Anonymous said...

Help! I don['t see the actual instructions for this bag. I have been looking for a pattern like this FOREVER! Please email me the pattern or a link so I can see how to make this. Thanks! - Julie robertsonclan91350@sbcglobal.net

Haley said...

the instructions are on the page you sent me, so i'm not sure what you are asking for. perhaps the setting on your web browser need to be adjusted?

you can also get it here: http://www.knitomatic.com/patterns_bags.htm

Anonymous said...

geez . I've read your page million times and I can't find the patterm :O
Can you send me? :D
aluap__k3@hotmail.com

Haley said...

links is below the red writing under the picture, above the title

http://www.knitomatic.com/patterns_bags.htm

Anonymous said...

I can't see this red link ):
My browser is (microsoft) Internet explorer 7. What should i do? )': *desperate*

Unknown said...

Why is this pattern not free anymore? I remember downloading it a long time ago but have misplaced it. When I click on the site for the full pattern I am asked to pay $2.50 for someone's reconstruction surgery.

Haley said...

i have donated the pattern, as you adeptly noted, to help raise money for a good person who needs reconstructive surgery. as the big red letters state, the pattern is "Pay what you Like", $2.50 is the suggested price. if you do not want to help out a person who is suffering, you do not have to pay anything, you can reset the amount to 0.

Haley said...

if you can't see that page because you are using a microsoft browser you can either download firefox and use a browser that works or copy the following web address into your browser: http://www.knitomatic.com/patterns_bags.htm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C and G said...

page says not available. It's been six years since originally posted - I guess the admin took it down? I've tried firefox, chrome and IE ...

Sara said...

C and G

If you go to this page and scroll down a ways you will find the pattern:

http://www.knitomatic.com/patterns.htm

It's a great pattern. I loved making this bag. I gave it as a gift and am hoping I can make one for myself next.

Judy said...

Thanks Sara, I couldn't find the pattern either. The link brought me to a site that said "not found"

Haley said...

Sorry about that, the website was updated. The pattern is available here: http://www.knitomatic.com/patterns.htm