Check out the Tuesday Night Cowl we just finished with Misti Alpaca Chunky! It looks and feels so good (I knew it would) that I think these might be my gift project this Holiday. Misti Alpaca Chunky is a totally a petting yarn and I know the cowl will be very well received.
We used 2 skeins of super-soft Misti Alpaca Chunky (total $33.94) and 6.5mm needles (but I think you can go up to a 7mm). The pattern is free, via Ravelry, and we used the instructions for the thickest yarn. I think it would also look sensational as a long cowl, knitted twice the length and then wrapped around the neck.
- Use a Chained Cast On (alias: crochet cast-on) for your Provisional Cast on - it undoes so easily it's like a zipper!
- The texture is created with some very simple cable stitches, a real no-brainer, just use a big cable hook (the kind that looks like a fishing hook works best).
- It is knit side to side, and then joined at the end. You can either go the easy way and finish with a 3 needle bind off, or take the high road and graft using kitchener stitch.
If Baby Alpaca isn't in the budget this season try using 6mm needles and any of the following yarns:
- 1 skein of Cascade Eco + (total $19.97)
- 2 skeins Berroco Vintage Chunky (total $15.94)
- 2 Skeins Berroco Comfort Chunky (total $13.94)
If you want to go even bigger, try 8mm needles and 2 skeins of Berroco Peruvia Quick (total $21.94) or Malabrigo Chunky (total $35.94).