Saturday, January 17, 2009

my mom's hat

Caveat: all links go to Ravelry. If you don't have an account it's time to get one! It's free, what are you waiting for, your mom to do it for you? While you are waiting to get your invite you can use the store account:
login: knitomatic2, password: knitomatic

rainbow hat by you.

mom asked me to make her a hat & neckwarmer set and gave me a few skeins of Noro Iro shade 18 to do it (procured a few years ago from me). the think is, the colour is obnoxious and it was hard to come up with a style that wouldn't be completely trumped by the colours. i wen't with a twinkle stlye Aspen button/flap hat (which was knocked off by Banana Republic and then subesequently deconstructed by several knitters, like the Robin's Egg Blue Hat, the Republic Hat and the Banana Republic Hat Knockoff.

I'll publish the pattern when I get a little time. I bought a little notebook computer (just a wee 8.9" thingy) for home and about town and i'm hoping that i'll be able to get more of this stuff done on my days off, because it just doesn't get done while i'm at work.

Anyway, one caveat, what you are looking at is a bit of a construct. I started the hat off with the colour that would look best on my mom (she's an autumn and red is best for her), but that was not the colour that was at the start of the skein. Also, as the hat got smaller i cut the colourways shorter to keep the height of the  colour bands relatively consistent.

rainbow hat 2 by you.


1 comment:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I looooove the chunky garter stitching across the forehead - and probably very comfy too!