Friday, October 03, 2008

Posit: Sweaters as Carbon Credits?



Above is a capelet I made for Kim, one of the sales reps over at Scratch. She liked the ones in the show but is currently into purple, so i made one in Amethyst Brown Sheep Burly Spun on 12mm needles, using the smallest size from the Quick Button Capelet pattern. It looks great in the Burly! I thought the texture might look bland but it's great, the stitches are large enough to create al lot of definition and contrast.

So let's talk ..... I was discussing the economy and the crash in the stock markets (don't stop reading, it gets to knitting) with mt family last week. My cousin says to me (please read with dry wit laced with dark humour): "it's a good thing your money is tied up in wool since people will have to wear sweaters this winter when they can't afford to heat their homes or drive their cars."  LOL!  Don't worry, the economy here is not really as bad as all that, but who wants to spend more money, right?

This morning I received my weekly letter from Berroco (below, or read link). Now I've always been a fan of cardigans and layering, but I never thought of it as an energy saver. And if sweaters help us save energy, then wearing them is kind of a 'green' initiative, isn't it?  but  I don't think cardigans are the be all end all. there are lots of ways to warm up, what about shawls? capelets? wool socks? lapghans? cardi-wraps? I wonder if I can get carbon credits for outfitting my friends & family in woolies? Do they print them up like food stamps? or maybe they just come in the form of more wool? ;-)

Cardi Mania!
Keep the Thermostat Down

Cardigan ManiaMy autumn knitting queue is full of cardigans. They are fantastic for layering, especially during in-between seasons when weather can be unpredictable (and downright tempestuous here in New England). Cardigans also save money in unexpected ways. President Jimmy Carter famously wore a cardigan during a fireside chat, sending a sartorial message about conservation and practicality. According to the Farmer's Almanac, we're in for a colder than normal winter. With the upward trend of energy costs, President Carter's fashion advice is ringing in my ears.

I'm always torn between making cardigans in sensible neutrals or standout brights. A black or grey cardigan becomes a wardrobe equivilant of a security blanket, but a strong shade like magenta or chartruese will set off more subdued outfits. Scrunch is a clever assymetrical ribbed cardigan knit in Geode™ which comes in a variety of deep base shades with hints of color throughout. Lichen is a study in texture and its uncluttered silouette puts the focus on your favorite shade of Trilogy™. Either way, cardigans are fall's smartest garment.


No comments: